We have some very exciting news!
We are launching two new LEGO® Minifigure Link Watches! Based on the much loved R2D2 & Boba Fett Star Wars Characters! The watches are such a great addition to our LEGO® Star Wars Collection that we thought we’d give a bit of background on why we have chosen them!
Boba Fett – ‘As you wish’
Boba Fett is a fictional character and bounty hunter in the Star Wars Franchise. His first appearance was on the 20th September 1978, at the San Anselmo County Fair Parade. Two months later he debuted on Tv in an animated segment produced by Nelvana for The Star Wars Holiday Special. He appears as a mystery figure who saves Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, C3PO and R2D2 from a giant monster, only to be revealed as a bounty hunter working for Darth Vader. His most popular appearances are in;
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980), hired by Darth Vader to capture Han Solo.
- Jabba the Hutt’s palace in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983).
- Prequel film Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002). Establishes his origin as a clone of bounty hunter Jango Fett who was raised as his son.
- Also appears in episodes of The Clone Wars (2008), bridging his storyline between the two trilogies
His backstory is really quite interesting. He is the genetic clone of the infamous bounty hunter Jango Fett. Created by the cloners on Kamino and was physically identical to the clone troopers created for the Grand Army of the Republic. Raised as Jango’s son, Boba learned the combat skills necessary to one day become a bounty hunter in his own right. During the rise of the Galactic Empire, Boba gained a rep as one of the deadliest. With his distinctive armour, he has helped keep the stories about the Mandalorians alive in the Galaxy. After the battle of Hoth, Boba and other bounty hunters were gathered by Darth Vader, to locate Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon. Darth Vader’s plan was to use them to lure Luke Skywalker into a trap. The mission was a success as Boba found Solo and froze him in carbonite, taken to Tatooine to collect the bounty that Jabba placed on him.
- He was intended to be the main villain of Return of the Jedi.
- There is an ultra-rare Boba Fett figure that’s been described as the ‘Holy Grail of Star Wars Collectables’.
- In the original story, Boba was a man named Jaster Mareel.
- His helmet gives him a 360-degree vision.
- He’s fought Darth Vader twice.
- He’s been portrayed by 8 actors.
- He became the leader of the Mandalorians and survived the Sarlacc!
R2-D2 – “Oh, my dear friend. How I’ve missed you.”
R2D2 is a fictional robot character created by George Lucas. He is an Astromech droid and friend to C3PO, Padme Amidala, Anakin Skywalker, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. His first appearance was in the original trilogy when he and C3PO accompanied Princess Leia on a mission to Tatooine so that they could contact Obi-Wan Kenobi. But they were attacked by the Empire and Leia hid the plans to the Death Star (Imperial Superweapon) inside R2D2.
- Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977)
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Return of the Jedi (1983)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
- Rogue One (2016)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
- Episode IX (2019)
His backstory is also very interesting. He was created by the droid manufacturing company Industrial Automation. He was purchased and modified by the Royal Engineers of Naboo in which he served on Queen Amidala’s Royal Starship. He first met his future counterpart, C3PO, when Amidala’s ship made an emergency landing on Tatooine. She then gave the droid to her husband Anakin Skywalker after he became a Jedi Knight. Droids memories were wiped repeatedly as part of protocol but Anakin let R2D2 accumulate information so he could be the best at his job. Obi-Wan Kenobi entrusted the droid, with Princess Leia (Anakin and Amidala’s daughter) and C3PO to Senator Organa but escaped after an attack on the ship Tantive IV and spent the next few years travelling with different masters.
- According to George Lucas R2-D2 and C-3PO were originally called A-2 and C-3. In the same interview, Luke was a girl, Han Solo was an alien and the wookies were called Jawas.
- Created by sound designers Ben Burtt, R2-D2’s signature speech is actually 50% synthesizer and 50% Burtt doing baby sounds.
- The LEGO® Movie wanted R2 as the main character, but due to Disney acquiring the Star Wars rights in 2012, and refusing to let the studio use him, his role was cut from the picture.
- The name R2-D2 was uttered by sound editor Walter Murch, who was editing Luca’s film American Graffiti. While Lucas was filming American Graffiti track, which in editing parlance would be, ‘Could you get R2-D2 for me? And this how the name was brought up for the very first time.
- R2D2 was in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Nick Frost and Simon Peg (Hot Fuzz) became friends over making droid noises.
Purchase your new LEGO® Boba Fett and R2D2 Watch now via this link -https://www.legowatches.com/